We usually think that the most important aspect of our device is its battery life, and while battery life is important, we often neglect that these batteries are useless without their chargers.
I’m not saying we shouldn’t bother extending the battery lifespan of our devices. We definitely should! Those tips are important. All I’m saying is that we ought to take just as good, if not better, care of our chargers.
The following are the tips in taking good care of your chargers:
- Always unplug by the head— Never grab the charger by its cord and try to unplug it that way. It may work, and it may seem like you aren’t doing any damage, but over time the tension will cause irreparable internal damage.
- Keep it dry— And keep it away from sources of water. Don’t charge in your kitchen, don’t charge in your bathroom, and always clean spills right away.
- Keep it cool— Extreme temperatures, both hot and cold, can damage chargers. Try not to leave chargers on carpet or rug, especially in hot environments. When transporting during winter, insulate it.
- Keep it tucked away— When you least expect it, a stray charger can turn into a tripwire. Not only can this cause damage to the charger itself (e.g. tear the cord, break the plug head), it can seriously hurt you!
- Use a surge protector— You never know when an electrical surge might hit, and if the surge is bad enough, it can damage or destroy electronic components. Don’t risk it, especially during storms or in buildings with poorly designed circuits.
- Don’t bend it – do not charge the phone while being bent. This can damage the electrical wires within the cord.
- Properly wrap the charger cord – Too often, a cell phone’s cord is wrapped up haphazardly or thoughtlessly bundled into a confusing bunch. Treating a cord this way will lead to the cord becoming entangled, which could ultimately cause the electrical wires within the cord to break. A simple solution is to wrap the cord with the tie provided by the manufacturer in the same manner it was wrapped when it was packaged.
Cell phones have become a must-have item for people fully engaged in modern life. Electronic tools that can be used for a variety of purposes, cell phones must be taken care of properly for users to get the most benefit from them. A part of the cell phone’s care that people rarely think about is the cell phone charger that is used to keep the cell phone operating. With a few easy-to-adopt practices, however, cell phone users can extend the life of their chargers and minimize the likelihood of damage occurring. All it takes is knowing what to do and which care products to buy to protect the charger.